Seed & Sprout Reusable Stretch Lids Set
- 6 reusable silicone food covers, various sizes
- Made from food-safe, sand-derived silicone (NO plastics)
- Heat safe, dishwasher safe, microwave safe food covers
- Airtight, leak-proof seal, (just make sure whatever you’re stretching it over is dry)
- Our silicone storage covers work even with hot food
- Silicone bowl covers aren’t biodegradable but are recyclable in some councils
What is Silicone?
IT’S NOT PLASTIC!
Unfortunately, plastic that doesn’t end up in our landfills often ends up in our ocean. As a consequence these toxic plastics are entering the food chain which is a big concern for animals and human health. The harsh chemicals and toxins found in plastic can lead to cancer, infertility, immune disorders and more. Fortunately, there is a healthier alternative; Food Grade Silicone! Food Grade Silicone is a more stable, flexible, sustainable, and safe alternative to plastic, safe for people and the planet!
IT’S MADE OF SAND
While not a “100% natural” material like rubber, food-grade silicone is a non-toxic polymer mostly made from silica, aka sand!
Its oxide form, known as silica or quartz, is very common. In fact, it is dirt: Almost all kinds of sand, clay and rock contain silica in one form or another, and overall more than half the Earth’s crust is made of silica. Industrially, silica is converted to pure silicon by heating it with coke (the form of coal, not the drink) in a furnace.
Due to its high heat resistance, silicone make a good choice for kitchenware.
Silicone resists normal aging for decades on end. In fact, studies have shown that silicones thrive on challenges, including exposure to extreme heat and cold, harsh chemicals, sterilisation, rain, snow, salt spray, ultraviolet radiation, ozone, and acid rain, to name a few. If disposed of at a landfill for incineration, the silicone (unlike plastic) is converted back into inorganic, harmless ingredients: amorphous silica, carbon dioxide, and water vapour.
Silicone is non-toxic, BPA free and does not leech harmful chemicals into our food. It’s been proven to be the safest plastic-alternative and much better for human health and the planet than its plastic counterparts.
It is highly durable and more environmentally friendly than plastic as it is much longer lasting and endures extreme fluctuations in temperatures – from very cold to oven hot – without melting, cracking or otherwise degrading. Reusable plastic containers may last a year or a few years if they are hand washed, but they end up getting scratched, foggy, broken and needing to be retired from use much sooner than similar items made from silicone.
BENEFITS OF CHOOSING SILICONE IN THE KITCHEN
- Highly resistant to damage and degradation from extreme temperatures; transferring easily from freezer to microwave
Doesn’t harden, crack, peel, crumble, dry out, rot or become brittle over time
- Flexible and durable
- Lightweight, saves space, easy to transport
- Made from an abundant natural resource; silica aka sand!
- Dishwasher, microwave and oven safe
- Non-toxic and odourless; contains no BPA, latex, lead, phthalates, petroleum
- May be 100% recycled at select locations; non-hazardous waste
- Hygienic and hypoallergenic with no open pores to harbour bacteria
- Can be heated and frozen